-->
“One may think one is paying tribute to the blue wholes from which they came. But a bouquet is no homage to the bush.” -- Maggie Nelson

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

STRANGE, THE SELECTIVE MEMORY

Here's a new poem I wrote today. It comes from a place I was in after a discussion with a friend. Yes, I'm in an interesting mood. And, yes, I'm done editing things out of my poetry.

STRANGE, THE SELECTIVE MEMORY

I preserved the sea shells you picked
from the east coast in a canning jar
the jumpsuit orange
sticky note on your lunch bag
folded shirts into uniform rectangles
& weighed the permanence of owning a spice rack

the first night we fucked with
two box fans in the windows, arms reaching
through the dense heat

i’m bent on forgetting
how everything leaves you
breathless in the same clothes
on the second day


2 comments:

  1. I'm convinced, you're perfect.
    Love you, J Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you two just get married already? I'm sick of waiting.

    ReplyDelete